Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

Weird day for us today-haha

It's the first Father's Day without my brother, and we're with his wife and kiddos, that's just a bit saddening to us.  He was such a good daddy, and we're just Uncle T and Auntie Claire, and though we are trying desperately to fill some voids for them all, the simple truth is that we are not Shane, and we can never be Shane!  It's strange for me to get overly emotional, I've just never really functioned that way, but I find myself being a lot more open to my own emotions since his passing.  I cried this morning during a Father's Day prayer at church, and I don't even have any kids of my own!!!  My mind just took me to the place of watching Shane set an example of a Godly father.  Claire and I aren't sure if we want kiddos or not, I think I still have a lot of growing up to do before I am responsible for another human being.  It was surreal when I got married and realized the leadership and responsibility that marriage took, I can't imagine Claire and I giving birth to something God allowed us to make and the rush of responsibility and love that comes with such a situation.  

For now, I'll experience Father's Day with a bit of a heavy heart this year and pray that the sense of gloom fades with each passing holiday.  To all you great fathers out there, keep doing what you do, it's very important and you are vitally relevant to the livelihood of your children.

blessings!

1 comment:

The Trotter Family said...

Travis and Claire,
It was great to see that you guys are doing good, but I am so sorry to hear about your brother. Bless your hearts!

Blessings,
Toby and Cari